Have you ever found a recipe in a book or magazine that wasn’t low carb, but looked delicious? Happens to me all the time! Today, we’re looking at a few techniques that low carb and keto cooks can use to lower the carb counts of a recipe. It’s not always possible, but with a little ingenuity, we can usually make it work.
Today’s recipe is from the July 2017 issue of Southern Living magazine, one of my all-time favorite publications. Tucked away in the last few pages is a recipe for Zucchini Rice Gratin, which they state was inspired by Julia Child’s recipe for Tian de Courgettes au Riz (Zucchini Rice Gratin). We took a look at both recipes and developed a plan of attack to bring this beautiful casserole to the dinner tables of low carb and ketogenic eaters everywhere. We successfully lowered the carb count from 28g in the original recipe to 6.5g in our low carb version!
Link to original Southern Living Recipe:
HIGHFALUTIN’ LOW CARB ZUCCHINI RICE GRATIN
(Inspired by Southern Living and Julia Child)
1/3 cup crushed pork rinds
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (divided)
2 Tbsp bacon fat (or olive oil)
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 lb. fresh zucchini, roughly chopped
1.5 cup cauliflower, grated and cooked
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or 1 tsp paprika)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Makes 6 servings.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Crush the pork rinds and combine with 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese and set aside.
3. Grate the cauliflower, place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool, then strain in cheesecloth to remove excess moisture. Measure out 1.5 cups of cooked, grated cauliflower in a separate bowl and fluff it with your fingers.
4. Heat bacon fat or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown (5-7 minutes), stirring often. Add garlic and cook for 30-45 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly.
5. Add the chopped zucchini to the skillet and stir well to combine. Allow zucchini to cook, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly brown and softened.
6. While zucchini cooks, add the cream cheese to the heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30-60 seconds, or until the cream cheese has melted into the cream. Stir well to mix.
7. Once zucchini is lightly browned, turn off the heat and add to the skillet the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, the melted cream cheese and heavy cream mixture, and the cooked cauliflower. Stir well to combine and flatten the top with the back of your spoon.
8. Place the (oven-safe) skillet in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and turn the broiler to high. Sprinkle the pork rind/parmesan mixture on top of the casserole and return to the oven. Place 6” under the broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
9. Remove from oven, allow to cool. Enjoy!
Per serving. Makes 6 servings.
Total Carbs: 8.6g
NET CARBS: 6.5g
Gourmia Induction Cooktop: (Affiliate Link)
Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet: (Affiliate Link)
(We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.)
Email Inquiries: wes (at) highfalutinlowcarb (dot) com
Carefree by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (
Corncob – Country by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (